Fair Housing

It is the policy of the City of Glendale to assure equal opportunity to live in adequate housing facilities regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, handicap, sexual preference, marital status of persons maintaining a household, lawful source of income, place of birth, or age, and to that end, to prohibit discrimination in housing by any persons.

In connection with any real estate transaction which affects any housing accommodation on the open market, or in connection with any public sale, purchase, rental or lease of any accommodation, it is illegal within Glendale for a person, owner, financial institution, real estate broker or sales representative to:

1. Refuse to sell, purchase, rent or lease to a person because of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, handicap, marital status, sexual preference, sex, age, or place of birth.

2. To discriminate against a person in the terms, conditions or privileges of the sale, purchase, rental or lease of any housing accommodation.

A complete copy of the City's fair housing ordinance may be obtained here or by calling (414) 228-1705.

Any person who has a complaint, or who may be aggrieved by any unlawful practice which is prohibited by the ordinance, may file a complaint with the Common Council within 30 days after the aggrieved person becomes aware of the alleged unlawful practice, but no more than 60 days after the alleged unlawful practice has occurred.

The City will attempt to resolve each complaint. If an acceptable resolution for both parties is not reached, the City will then forward the complaint and findings to appropriate state and federal agencies.

In addition to the local Code of Ordinances, an individual can pursue complaints under both state and federal fair housing laws. Under the Wisconsin Open Housing Law a person has one year after the last act of discrimination to file an administrative complaint with the State of Wisconsin Equal Rights Division (ERD) and one year to file a judicial complaint (lawsuit). If a person chooses to pursue a complaint through a federal administrative agency, the complaint must be filed with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) within one year of the last act of discrimination under the 1968 Federal Fair Housing Act (FFHA). To file a federal court action under the FFHA, one must file the complaint within two years of the act of discrimination. In addition, under the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which only applies to racial discrimination, a person has up to three years to file a judicial complaint.

Additional contact telephone numbers for complaints include the Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council (414) 278-1240, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (414) 297-3214, Ext. 8300 or 8301, or the State of Wisconsin Equal Rights Division (414) 227-4384.

For more information regarding
Fair Housing call or visit:

Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing, Inc.
(414) 278-1240

Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Office
(414) 297-3214
Fair housing